5.09.2008

On breaking even as a pyhrric victory

You could say, I suppose, that I played my cards the best I could this week, that I succeeded in what I had set out to do, minimize risk, not doing anything that would jeopardize the shred of a relationship I do have--breaking even, at least--no worse off at the end of the semester than I was at the beginning. And maybe running into K. in the library will be less awkward now and even though The Professor and I haven't talked since last Friday and he's clearly not going to Indiana with me in the fall I will still be able to send him my articles as I write them. And the poet will be around most weeks to spend a night in Brooklyn and leave again in the morning back to Jersey and the rest of his life. And I'll fix the stupid health issue that I've let go on too long already, and eventually the school I want to adjunct at in the fall will let me know about that, and my friend's husband and I will work out my working at his firm, and I'll go to the library on the days I'm not there and I'll write my articles like I said I would. And the summer will pass this way--maybe I really will go shopping at the Grand Army Plaza Greenmarket on Saturdays and start going back to the Cafe on Sundays and keep up the gym going even when / if my ID card doesn't let me keep my gym bag in my desk. And perhaps I will learn to play by the rules again and maybe--well--I don't know. I'm done hoping for right now, I'm done asking, and I say these things knowing I'm not. But I'm so tired of living like a Liz Phair song and all the books and poems I'm reading tonight remind me that it's one thing to become disillusioned with the straight path that life has to offer, but it's another thing to let go of those illusions, and I've never claimed to like this only to accept it, but in the end it may not matter how much I set out trying to do the right thing, how much I tried to suspend judgment and take what was there, not trying to ask for more.

Right now I am playing for the present, playing to avoid the return of the abyss of a couple of weeks ago, playing to avoid being as wretched as I was in January and February because I will not be able to write a dissertation under those conditions. When my life works, as it did, in various fleeting moments over the past three weeks or so, it was wonderful, inspiring, exciting. But these things collapse so fast. And it's all quicksand. There is a part of me that wants to play for keeps, that maybe wants a reason to consider staying in New York once I graduate, something more than all of this, than being the other woman. But it's hard to go back. I don't have much more to risk--I don't want to let go of what I have, even if it's basically a 56-year-old guy with a wife in New Jersey. At least he cares enough not to make promises he can't follow through on, not to be so rigorous in pushing me away.

But on the other hand, I don't see him as a friend in the way that K and the Professor were. Our relationship is sex, literature, and drinking--with some humanity mixed in. (After all, he did bring me a drink token from the night he spent at the L&L talking to me on the phone.) But it doesn't have that same stomachdrop excitement to it. And of course I'd have to trace longer genealogies here that I don't have the time for--K is a distinct improvement on The Professor in that he actually finds me attractive and pursued me for it--there's just that huge other glaring problem. And he's right, in a way, that him 10 years younger and single probably would be a good match for me.

Somebody please find me that man and make me fall in love with him.

Yet in terms of the spring semester at least I am no worse off than I was when I started, not really. Some wasted efforts of course, but not all lost in that they carried me through those long middle sections--The Professor and I renewed our friendship just long enough for him to read my conference paper and K probably kept me from going insane while my mom was here. So I try to stay thankful for these tiny things even though right now they hurt, hurt badly. But this was the game I was playing. I wish I wasn't playing it.

And the rules don't work in the subjunctive, so I do what I have to do again, pull myself together for another hour of reading and the meeting I have to plan for tomorrow. Take a deep breath and tell myself that my orals reading will all get done. Wonder if I should tear those last couple of pages out of my journal. Send one last email to say, yeah, we'll see each other in the library, and it'll be fine and that's how we'll be friends and it won't make me miserable this time, I promise.

Do I sound self-pitying? I'm not trying to, actually. But I have been reading a lot of Victorian women poets lately, and am probably overidentifying. Suffice it to say that Aurora Leigh, even as it reasserted itself as perhaps my favorite 19th century long poem, was also very much behind that collapse at the end of Spring Break.

And I still think back to my "September 10th" moment--literally, though perhaps disingenuously--but, really--the last time I was entirely happy was on September 10, 2007. It was the first day of German class, and the most perfect date I had with E. It was the night I got pregnant, and in the overnight my grandmother died. And everything's been out of joint since then. I wouldn't even know how to put this all back together again.

No comments: