5.10.2008

Telegraphic: Bataille on Hegel on sovereignty. Also, shoes and the radio.

“The essential thing is that one cannot attain it consciously and seek is, because seeking it distances it.” --Georges Bataille, "Hegel, Death and Sacrifice"

This comment feels rather widely applicable right now. It also somewhat misrepresents how I've spent my day. I was pretty listless, took a long nap even though I had already slept for eight hours or more the night before. Did too much poking around on Facebook. (I'm now friends with someone who works for Focus on the Family--how crazy is that?--But he's an old friend of mine, someone from camp who was really, really cool back in the day--or at least I thought so 10 or 12 years ago.) So I decided to drag myself over to Atlantic Center to use the two DSW certificates I had that were about to expire. I think I'm taking one pair of shoes back, as they aren't fitting as well at home as they were in the store. A much better (and, as I cannot help myself from saying, fiercer) purchase were these. I'm not sure the picture does them justice. The heels are about 2in, which is still a little high for me, but they don't feel as high as my other pair in that height--possibly because of the slingback thing.

This may seem like an entirely frivolous post, except for the fact that a year and a half ago, I didn't have any shoes with more than a 1-inch heel that weren't platforms. This might be a transformation worth thinking about at more length at a time that isn't now.

One of my greatest pleasurs of staying in on a Saturday to work (besides not having to be around a bunch of yobbos and frat boys) is listening to Danny Stiles on WNYC.

Speaking of that work, I think it's time to move on to some Derrida. As you might have guessed, I have not even gotten near De Man yet.