3.19.2008

In which I am the weird one in my family, part #835

My little brother just called to tell me he's about to get engaged to his longtime girlfriend this week. I thanked him for telling me himself rather than simply updating his relationship status on Facebook.

He's planning to get married sometime in the fall. Even as a woman with no real prospect of getting married anytime soon, this seems rather quick. (Then again, A's getting married in July...but that's going to be at City Hall and there are other issues.)

Is it self-centered of me to hope that I will have someone in my life who could make for an even remotely plausible *date* to this event, which I will no doubt have to be in in some bridesmaidenly (ha) capacity? Because bringing someone like The Poet would be...well, let's just say that it would be way more obnoxious than when I showed up for my brother's high school graduation with greyish hair.

I might as well start my summer '08 to-do list now:
* Write article for Important Online Journal
* Work on dissertation prospectus with the hope of getting it approved in September
* Finally finagle something publishable on Tennyson
* Find someone to bring to central Indiana as a date for my brother's wedding.

Oh, ack.

I wonder if M's free for the Fort Greene farmer's market this Saturday....

This has derailed me a bit from slogging through my conference paper in a way that even working on a timer can't fully solve.

No comments: